Can Dogs Eat Watermelon – What Experts say ?
The answer to this simple yet tricky question “can dogs eat watermelon?” is YES!
Yes, the dogs can eat watermelon in moderation with a little safety measure. Watermelon is a refreshing fruit which is basically a package of water and nutrients with small number of calories. Watermelon contains vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B6 and vitamin C and also potassium in good quantity. The fruit is advantageous for the health of the dog as the fruit hydrates the body and has ample of the health benefits. A healthy and fit dog is a happy dog therefore one should feed the dog correctly and properly. Read full article to know how can dogs eat watermelon in order to get maximum health benefits:
Is watermelon good for dogs ?
Now as we know the answer to “can dogs eat watermelon?” so now the next very obvious question arises that “is watermelon good for dogs?” and the answer is Yes the watermelon is good for dogs. On dogs watermelon has many beneficial health impacts along with the refreshing effect and good taste. The benefits of watermelon for dogs include:
- Watermelon contains about 92% water which is helpful in hydrating your dog
- It also helps in lowering of blood pressure and improving sensitivity of insulin in the gods
- Watermelon reduce muscle soreness, helps in muscle recovery after exercise
- Watermelon is rich in vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B6 and vitamin C
- Ripe Watermelon contains citrulline which is an essential amino acid for your dogs
- Watermelon also contains lycopene, a very good antioxidant which may be helpful in prevention of the cancer.
- Watermelon is a highly fibrous fruit which aids in the digestion of your dog.
Is watermelon safe for dogs ?
Watermelon is a safe fruit for dogs but it should not be given in large quantity or it should be included in dogs diet in moderate quantity because excessive of a good thing can turn into a bad thing. Side effects of eating watermelon are very rare but it may be allergic to some dogs and may not be digested properly by some dogs. High sugar content is present in the watermelon so it should not be given to dogs on daily basis but occasional feed of watermelon should be preferred. As we know now that watermelon is safe for dogs, so the doubt is “Is watermelon safe for dogs- whole or partial part?” or “can dogs eat watermelon rind?” or “can dogs eat watermelon seeds?”.
Can dogs eat watermelon rind ?
No, the dogs cannot eat watermelon rind as the rind of watermelon is hard to digest and can cause gastrointestinal upset in the dogs. The rind of watermelon actually contains large amount of fiber and dogs cannot digest such amount of fiber which can lead to problems in the gut health of the dogs. The chance of gastrointestinal upset is higher in case of smaller dogs as compared to the larger dogs. The rind of watermelon should be avoided, so now the question emerges “can dogs eat watermelon seeds”?
Can dogs eat watermelon seeds?
The seeds of watermelon are not toxic but the reply to “can dogs eat watermelon seeds?” is NO!
The seed of watermelon are hard to digest and chew which may impact the teeth and cause problems to the digestive tract of the dog. The seeds of the fruit can cause blockage in the intestine so it is better to take out all the seeds from the watermelon before serving the fruit to the dog. The watermelon served without the rind and seeds can be a happy refreshing meal for dogs particularly during hot summer days.
Can dogs eat bananas?
If you have ever speculated,” can dogs eat bananas?” the response is yes. The bananas are rich source of potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6 and also contains high fiber content. The banana can help in elimination of gut problems (if dog is having any) and helps in the bone growth as well as it enhances the absorption of the vitamins.
- The banana should be feed to dogs in moderate quantity due to high sugar content of bananas and
- The banana should be peeled off properly before serving the dog.
Can dogs eat strawberries?
Yes, the dogs can eat strawberries as a sweet healthy delicacy. The strawberries have low calories, high content of antioxidants, vitamin C and fiber. The strawberries should be properly washed with running water and cut down into smaller pieces so the dog can eat easily and the smaller pieces are easier to digest.
- The best time to serve strawberries is when the fresh berries are available in the market
- Can dogs eat strawberries? – Yes
- Can dogs eat canned or preserved strawberries? – No
Can dogs eat pineapple ?
Yes, the pineapple can be a good source of thiamin, folate, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B and vitamin C as well as a combination of minerals (potassium, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, copper, zinc and iron). The pineapple can be a healthy occasional snack for dogs when served in moderate quantity and properly cut into smaller pieces which the dogs can eat easily.
What can dogs not eat ?
The prior knowledge of what should be a good meal for dog is essential to avoid unpleasant circumstance. Before serving anything and everything, one should know “what can dogs not eat?”. The fruits which should be avoided in dog’s meal are:
- Avocado, as it has toxin persin which can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs.
- Grapes, because they are very toxic to dogs may lead to immediate failure in kidney in some cases.
- Mushrooms, as majority of species are poisonous to dogs so precaution is better than cure, therefore mushroom should be avoided.
- Cherries, because apart from fleshy part, the cheery plant has cyanide that is poisonous to dogs and cyanide can hinder oxygen transport leading to breathing problems in dogs.
What fruits can dogs eat ?
As discussed in detail “can dogs eat watermelon?”, lets discuss “what fruits can dogs eat?”. Most of the fruits have advantageous effects on the health of dogs, but some fruits contain few undesirable compounds that is why some fruits should be avoided. The list include what fruits can dogs eat:
Can dogs eat cantaloupe?
Yes, the cantaloupe is safe and dogs can eat cantaloupe. The cantaloupe is a good source of vitamin A, niacin, vitamin B, folate, vitamin C, potassium and dietary fiber. Cantaloupe has high water content making it a hydrating feast for the dog.
Can cats eat watermelon?
Now we know that dogs eat watermelon let’s have a look can cats eat watermelon? The cats are carnivorous and have better digestive system so yes cats can easily eat watermelon and rejoice all the nutritious health benefits of the watermelon.
- The cats can enjoy watermelon as a summer rehydrating snack
- Watermelon can’t be as a meal replacement for cats because watermelon is good as a drink substitute but not a hunger feed.
Is watermelon good for cats?
Yes, watermelon is good for cats whereas certain safety measure should be kept in mind as the seeds and rind should be eliminated from the watermelon of the cats. The watermelon is nutritious but it contains high sugar content which is not good for cats and may lead to diabetic issues over long term and weight issues so everything is best in moderation.
Hope this would have given answers of your queries in detail. For any advice or query you can comment below.